How many of us adored the school time uniforms and become nostalgic thinking about them? I am sure many. Well, fashion has never been behind in bringing best of not only both but also all the worlds in your casual or luxe style. Drawing inspiration from school and Scottish bagpipers came the fashion term – “Mad for Plaid”. And as the runways heat up with fall-winter collection, the pattern gets an update on everything from shirts to accessories and works.
Plaid is a classic timeless trend that is here to stay for long. And we don’t hear anybody complaining. Plaid look is all pervasive; you name it and they have it – from casual plaid shirts and skirts to the modern suits, dresses, overcoats, jackets and cool sneakers. Ditch the boring single colour clothing and adopt the lovely plaid tartan look in multiple shades for a colourful you when temperatures go south.
Vogue discussed jumbo squares, candy floss and neon shades in plaid for that Oh-So-Hot look transcending from cute charm of schools to modern and bold fashion dominating the streets.
Even big fashion brands from Stella McCartney’s British menswear inspired boxy plaid jackets, Balmain’s black and white monochrome look, to Carven’s pastel palettes or the cowgirl checkers, adds fun and frivolity to mundane everyday look.
Plaid can be easily transferred to sophisticated and elegant look. This is the beauty of age old plaid design. It can suit your personality the way you want it by playing with new styles, cuts and creative prints.
Hot trends among the fashion circuit dictate some of these interesting tidbits:
- Drool Tip 1: Go for color palette made up of red, green and white. Oversized jackets, soft silhouettes, dropping shoulders and loose fitted plaid ensembles are your stylish go-to- items this season. Grab one before its too late!
- Drool Tip 2: If you are adventurous types and like a little more from your overall look can pair plaid with pinstripes (a la Marc Jacobs and Tommy Hilfiger favorites), tweeds and other eye-catching prints for a hip take on the classic style. You can pair pinstriped trouser with plaid shirt or plaid jacket with pinstriped skirt or dress.
- Drool Tip 3: The ultimate panache of experimenting with plaid is teaming it with leopard or any of your favorite animal prints. Optical and geometric prints also work well with plaid clothing.
- Drool Tip 4: Go plaid-crazy by wearing the print head-to-toe like the fashion events of Moschino and Sacai, where models strutted down the catwalk in two-piece plaid suits.
- Drool Tip 5: Have a fun take on plaid by opting for knitted versions or wearing them with glittering sequin studded skirts or sheer blouses. This gives the preppy up town look to the classic plaid. Office people can opt for plaid trousers or well fitted suit for that welcome change from shift dresses and shirts.
- Drool Tip 6: In the accessories department, tie a plaid flannel shirt around waist when wearing jeans or denim shorts. Or tie a plaid scarf with any ensemble for that trendy casual look.
Hollywood’s hottest divas have showcased this versatile pattern in a number of different ways. Whether you layer your plaid button-down over denim like Brooklyn Decker, rough up a plaid frock like Emma Watson, or suit up in a plaid-on-plaid number like Alexa Chung, we are sure there is the perfect plaid piece just for you.