“Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful” ~ Sophia Loren
Human brains judge what is seen and within seconds, the first impressions are formed. Undoubtedly, it is one’s appearance that is first perceived. And behind a confident appealing appearance, is the hidden inner beauty, charisma, and charm.
Dressing is all about self-expression. It reflects our thoughts and facilitates our objectives making us more effective. How we look does impact the way we feel and quite conversely, how we feel impacts the way we look.
In an age where fashion is all-consuming, with trends coming and going, there is a whole lot of clothing available in all forms, sizes and shapes. But then, there are a few that strike a chord with our inner persona.
How often are we caught staring at someone, and how often we envy them? It may either be their dress or their footwear or their accessories we are attracted to. And some of us have even end up imitating, adapting those tips.
But at other times, it leaves us upset, the very reason being the difference in our body shape. Style is what you to choose to wear, considering the uniqueness of your body shape.
In the wide variety of clothing, while every piece on its own is visually appealing, it can get a tad tricky when it comes to styling. With a fair amount of honest assessment of your body, knowing your body shape, it is lot easier to know what pieces work best for your shape.
Amongst the broad spectrum of body shapes, most of the women fall into one of the four main categories:
• Apple – thick around the middle
• Pear – larger at the bottom
• Hourglass – curvy but evenly proportioned
• Banana – straight up and down
Quick tip: Being confident in your own skin and dressing well to complement your body type rather than the body we desire is one of the biggest keys to high self-esteem. We need to be innovative, sharp and edgy to find out the right one and ‘fill out’ or ‘slim down’ the areas of our body figure, creating a proportional body shape and curves on all the right places, minimizing any prominent body areas that we are self-conscious about.
For example, a person with a full torso would be self-conscious about their heavy upper body. However, balancing it out with, for example, flare leg jeans or palazzo pants will improve this proportion by making it look less heavy in comparison.
And if your hips are more prominent than the shoulder-line then you need to visually create more width and volume around your bust and shoulder area. Or if you have a straight waist you’re going to have to find clothes that will add more texture and interest to your bust/shoulder and hips area – which helps make your torso look narrower.
Try some of these tips to help you find the most flattering clothes for your shape:
• If you are an apple, with broader shoulders and busts and narrower hips, minimize your midsection by highlighting your shoulders and legs. Wear flowing dresses instead of tight ensembles. Dresses made of silk or lose cotton with simple design can go well with your shape.
• If you are a pear, hip measurements, greater than the bust measurement, elongate and balance your figure by accentuating your top half. Wearing vertical striped tops, puff sleeved, bright colored helps.
• If you are an hourglass, curvy with a tiny waist, highlight your curves by emphasizing your waist. Curve-hugging clothing looks amazing on you. Be sure to show off that waist by wearing belts. Wrap-dresses look great too.
• If you are a banana, slim lower body and carry weight around your middle, highlight the thinnest part of your waist so your hips and bust appear larger and more proportional. Create a well-defined waist.
The key to look appropriate is to make our upper and lower body look in proportion with each other. And of course with a great fit coupled with elegance, exudes confidence, status and competence.
In the ever emerging fashion trends, a wide choices of splendid tops in designs, types and variation are available in the market from flowy to clingy, made to go easy on the eyes. And the bottom wears vary, from mid-rise to low-rise, from skinny to straight cut.
However, instead of lapping up the trends and fashions blindly thrown at you, you can adapt your own signature style to have that stunning look you wished for.
You can also use style to create visual illusions: you can look taller, slimmer and can minimize that belly if you have one. Optical illusions are a fantastic way to hide your tummy flab. You can throw in a nice jacket layering up your basic Tee. A dense small printed top also helps to a great extent.
But before all, comes the personal grooming – a good posture, clean and neat attire, well maintained skin, hair and nails, and the right make-up. Of course a lot depends on height, color, and occasions.
So, girls, hope I have revved you up to set your ball rolling. Remember, the more attractive you look, the more eyeballs your grab!
A little bit of hand holding can create a complete makeover for your image, enhance your self-confidence and give you that extra edge you have always desired. Reach out to me and we’ll transform YOU!